American Warming & Ventilating historical picture

1904
American Warming and Ventilating was created as a division of American Furnace and Foundry Company in Bloomington, Indiana. The company began as a regional contractor that installed gravity heating systems.

1940's
AWV was still a contractor in the mid 1940's when the development of forced warm air heating systems dictated a change in direction. This change was brought about when Fred A. Merry bought AWV and diversified the company's manufacturing to include air control equipment. Furnace contracting was gradually phased out and full emphasis was placed on the design and manufacture of louvers, dampers, and shutters. Merry moved the company to Toledo, Ohio.

American Warming & Ventilating historical picture

1954
The company again changed hands. Under the direction of E.H. Johnson, AWV's sales increased by 800% over the next 14 years. During this time, lasting relationships were established. In 1962, manufacturing was transferred to two new facilities in Ohio and Michigan.

1963
In 1963, AWV patented the first Drainable Blade Louver.

1968
AWV became a wholly owned subsidiary of ENTELCO. Extensive representation was built throughout the US, and in Canada, Spain, Puerto Rico and South Africa.

1978
AWV's 5,000 square foot AMCA-certified testing facility was completed at the Bradner,
Ohio plant. This facility exceeds standards set by AMCA. AWV also took a leading role
in the establishment of AMCA Division Five (louver, damper and shutter group).

American Warming & Ventilating historical picture

1980
AWV's headquarters moved from downtown Toledo, Ohio to brand new office facilities in Maumee, Ohio. After assembling one of the finest design engineering groups in the industry, AWV enjoyed record growth during this period. The product line expanded to include custom air control equipment used in multiple fields like adjustable louvers and isolation dampers. The products are used in commercial and industrial construction, fossil and nuclear power generation facilities, institutional and health care units, and educational buildings.

1987
AWV became one of five independently operating companies acquired by Mestek, Inc. These companies manufacture standard and custom adjustable louvers and isolation dampers to satisfy most every need for intake control, light and heavy duty industrial applications, and sophisticated fire/smoke control.

1990
AWV received a patent for the first Sightproof-Drainable blade louver.

Today
We're looking forward to the next 100 years and new designs as we lead the industry into the 21st century .